Does it always feel like the weeks get busier and busier and you somehow have less and less time to worry about your diet? Especially on those rushed mornings, when you’re running out the house and hoping you remembered to pack everything for your day? You know breakfast is the best start to your morning, but it’s the last thing on your mind.
Ever tried a bake-ahead recipe for your breakfast? We have, and we think it just might be the answer. Our almond butter and banana baked oatmeal will make your morning a little easier and your tummy a little happier. It’s the perfect amount of sweet without using too much sugar – thank you, bananas!
Not only is it delicious, but, “this is a great make ahead recipe for the week,” says Emily Monfilleto, RD, a dietitian with OhioHealth McConnell Heart Center. “It keeps well in the refrigerator and can be reheated when ready to eat.” It can also be frozen – just make sure the oatmeal is completely cooled, cut into servings and wrapped in plastic before placing in the freezer.
Almond Butter and Banana Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- 2 Tbs. almond butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk of choice (skim, almond, etc)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. maple syrup (or can omit if you like as well)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mash bananas well. Whisk in milk, eggs, vanilla, almond butter and maple syrup, if using.
- In a separate bowl combine oats, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until combined. Let mixture sit for a couple minutes to allow oats to start soaking up some of the liquid.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and place into preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until the oatmeal is brown and set in the middle.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
Serving size: 1/9 th of total recipe, makes 9 servings
Want some other ideas for breakfast? Check them out here!