It’s the ultimate comfort food, lightened up. Short on time? Pick up a can of low-fat biscuit dough instead.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1.1 ounces all-purpose flour (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 (¾ ounce) package fresh poultry blend herbs
- Cooking spray
- 4 ½ ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- To prepare filling, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Weigh or lightly spoon 1.1 ounces (1/4 cup) flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Stir flour, salt and pepper into vegetables; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken and peas; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove rosemary from herb package; reserve for another use. Strip leaves from stems of remaining herbs; chop leaves to measure 2 tablespoons. Stir herbs into filling. Pour filling in a 2-quart baking dish or cast-iron skillet coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare biscuits, weigh or lightly spoon 4.5 ounces (1 cup) flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 5 to 6 times. Roll to a 9-inch circle. Cut with a 2-inch round biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps. Arrange biscuits over filling; coat with cooking spray. Bake at 425 F for 35 minutes or until browned.
Serves: 6 | Calories: 334 | Fat: 13 grams | Carbohydrate: 31 grams | Protein: 23 grams | Fiber: 3 grams | Sodium: 543 milligrams | Cholesterol: 62 milligrams.
Planning out your meals for the week? Find more healthy recipes here!