If your usual greens have you wanting more, try this hearty roasted squash salad
- 2 pounds Delicata or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups baby arugula or mixed greens
- Pomegranate Vinaigrette as needed (recipe follows)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup pomegranate or raspberry vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1) Place a rack into the bottom third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) Place the squash cubes in a bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and a few grinds of pepper.
3) Spread on a baking sheet in one layer without crowding. Roast squash for 20 minutes.
4) Gently stir the squash, and roast another 10-15 minutes or until very tender, but not falling apart. Cool until room temperature.
5) Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously to emulsify.
6) Put the greens into a large salad bowl and toss with the dressing and salt to taste. Only use as much dressing as you need to coat the greens lightly.
7) Arrange salad on plates, top with roasted squash. Sprinkle with dried cranberries and pine nuts, and serve.
Learn to eat healthier without giving up flavor. It’s easy with all of our nutritious recipes!