When you’re on the go, the temptation to grab junk food is high. Bringing along a little trail mix can help and homemade is even better!
“This is a quick option for an on-the-go snack,” says Emily Monfiletto, RD, a dietitian with OhioHealth McConnell Heart Center. “Making your own trail mix is generally cheaper and you have better control over the nutrition and flavor.”
And bonus! Trail mix is highly customizable. If you’re not hip to pecans or pumpkin seeds, change up the type of nuts and add-ins to make it your own.
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 3/4 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup pepitas or pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place nuts and seeds on a baking sheet and toast 5-10 minutes, until they smell fragrant.
- Combine all ingredients, minus the chocolate, in a large bowl.
- Mix well and add chocolate once the nuts have cooled enough.
- Portion into 1/4 cup portions and store in an airtight container.
Download a printable version of this recipe here.
Makes approximately 16 (1/4 cup) servings
- 155 calories
- 11g fat
- 2g sat fat
- 0g trans fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 58mg sodium
- 12g carb
- 3g fiber
- 6g sugar
- 4g protein
Looking for more recipes to take on the go? Check out this list of healthy grab and go snacks.