Looking for something to warm you up? Brittany Smith, Registered Dietitian with OhioHealth McConnell Heart Health Center has an idea for you. “Chicken pot pie is one of my favorite comfort foods, and I just love soups when it is cold outside”, says Smith. “This soup provides all the flavors of chicken pot pie, without all the calories! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!”
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- Optional: other vegetables of your choosing, diced (zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, etc.)
- 2 cans reduced-fat/reduced sodium cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup skim milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 16-ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top the chicken with the diced onion and celery, and any other diced vegetables of your choosing!
- In a small bowl, combine the 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, milk, garlic powder, thyme, salt and black pepper. Pour the mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- About 30 minutes before serving, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Place the shredded chicken back
in the slow cooker and add the frozen vegetables. Stir to mix.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
6 heaping cups
Per 1 cup portion: ~280 calories, 4.5 g fat, 10 g sugar, 24 g protein