As businesses reopen and you return to social spaces with your family, it’s important to remember that the risk of COVID-19 has not passed. You still need to take precautions when venturing outside your home to keep you and your loved ones safe.
We compiled this list of all the ways you can protect yourself from the virus. And put together a quick checklist you can use to make sure you don’t forget anything before you leave your house.
COVID-19 safety tips
- Wear a mask every time you go out in public.
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Decide who in your household will leave to get groceries. Limit this to one person, if possible. While at the store:
- Limit touching products, especially produce.
- Try to get 30 days’ worth of food in one trip if you can to reduce the number of times you need to go.
- Maintain 6 feet between you and those around you.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Limit cell phone use in public to avoid the spread of germs. If you use it while out, keep it away from your face and disinfect it with a wipe when you get home.
- Limit your use of cash and opt for contactless payment, like Apple Pay and Google Pay, when possible.
- Before going to a newly opened establishment, check their requirements for patrons. Many businesses are requiring their customers to wear a mask.
- Disinfect high-touch surfaces around your home.
- Decide how many people you’ll interact with. Try to keep your circle closed by making sure everyone in your group is only interacting with each other.
- Establish rules for having visitors at your home. Think about:
- What day or time is best for you and your family.
- Whether everyone should wear a mask.
- If you can set up your home to have 6 feet between each other.